Salmon, one of my favorites, hands down.
- Salmon is probably most famous for its content of healthy fats. The fats in salmon are omega3s. These fats, DHA and EPA, are anti-inflammatory. DHA is found in large quantities in the brain, and EPA is found in higher quantities in cell membranes. Omega 3s are essential fatty acids so you need to get them from your diet because your body can't make them.
- There has been some question regarding wild versus farmed salmon. Wild has been considered healthier. However due to pollution and radiation, many are considering responsibly farmed salmon the healthiest option.
- Salmon is a great source of protein.
- It contains vitamin D, important for bone health, brain health, and much more.
- It's a good source of vitamin B12, necessary for brain and nervous system function, and for methylation (along with folate and vitamin B6). Methylation is a process that turns on many biochemical reactions, including ones that make DNA.
- Salmon contains selenium too, which is an important mineral for thyroid hormone metabolism, and for detoxification.