JCB 'Ice Cream'
Who doesn't love ice cream? That's a rhetorical question. To be honest, I didn't love ice cream as a kid. Chocolate candy bars were my preference. As an adult, my tastes have changed, and I do scream for ice cream!
Dairy isn't always my friend, as is the case for many of us. In addition to lactose intolerance (a problem for many), dairy can also lead to leaky gut. More specifically, there is a protein in some milk called A1 casein protein. Studies have shown that it can cause inflammation in the digestive tract, and inflammation in the digestive tract can lead to leaky gut.
- Gastric ulcers
- Infectious diarrhea
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn’s, ulcerative colitis)
- Celiac disease
- Esophageal and colorectal cancer
- Respiratory infections
- Acute inflammation conditions (sepsis, SIRS, multiple organ failure)
- Chronic inflammatory conditions (such as arthritis)
- Obesity-related metabolic diseases (fatty liver, Type II diabetes, heart disease)
- Autoimmune disease (lupus, multiple sclerosis, Type I diabetes and more)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
To avoid the potential pitfalls of consuming dairy, a non dairy 'ice cream' may be the answer to your "darn I wish I could eat ice cream but can't because it upsets my stomach (and everything else)" prayers. For you, there's 'ice cream' the JCB Nutrition way!
- In a food processor, you can use any combination of these items or similar items
- Frozen banana
- Blueberries, other berries (not frozen if using frozen banana)
- Almond or coconut milk (go lightly because too much liquid will make your 'ice cream' too watery)
- Chocolate chips (dark chocolate or bitter sweet)
- Nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters
- Honey or maple syrup to taste (go lightly on added sugar)
- Avocado and/or coconut oil
- Coconut flakes
- Other healthy treats
- Process until blended, transfer into a bowl (garnish if desired) and enjoy!